Palliative Care Complementary Therapies
As a complementary therapist at velindre cancer center in Cardiff, I have become increasingly aware of the power of complementary therapies to help comfort, support and uplift those who are living with cancer and other life limiting conditions.
Whether a person is:-
- Newly diagnosed,
- Currently having chemotherapy/radiotherapy treatment
- Recovering from cancer
- At the end of their life
- A holistic treatment is wonderful healing to give someone.
Complementary therapies can help in many ways by : -
- Supporting and offering a helping hand back onto the 'road to recovery'- helping to regain health and well being
- Improving the quality of life
- Soothing and bringing some peace and stillness at the end of life.
Whilst complementary therapies is in No Way to be substituted for conventional treatment, and does not claim to cure, diagnose or prescribe, it may, and is known to help:-
- Relax the mind and body
- Help reduce Lymphodema
- help reduce nausea and sickness
- help improve bowel movements
- Improve sleep
- Improve bloody supply and circulation
- Manage pain
- Reduce fatigue and lethargy
- Uplift mood
- Reduce anxiety
- Help with needle phobia
Complementary therapies may not a magic cure and will sometimes be more effective for some more than others, but in my experience the combination of :-
- Loving human physical and emotional contact
- Light reflexology techniques
- Providing space for a person to talk about their feelings
can be a profoundly healing experience to be highly valued and not to be underestimated.